Sunday, July 10, 2011

HCG Phase 2 Legal "Cookies"

Giving up most carbs (pretty much all of them!) and sugar is not easy.  I like sweets, I won't lie.  I like to have a treat every now and again. Deprivation hasn't yet been a factor (but it is only the start of week 2!).  Husband has been very supportive and I really don't feel I am missing out on much.

However, I was watching my daughter eat an Oreo today and it hit me that I wanted a cookie! 

So off I went in search of "legal" phase 2 (very low calorie diet phase) desserts.  There aren't many, but I did find a forum hcgdietinfo.com with a recipe for legal meringue cookies.
I just took them out of the oven.  Not bad.  I haven't tasted them...... yet.

3 egg whites (each egg white is 17 calories)
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1-2 tsp splenda (stevia is bitter) OR 1-2 tsp flavored sugar free syrup
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)

*I added 1 tsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)-20 calories for 1 tbsp, so 5 calories for 1 tsp

On a cookie sheet lined with foil or a silicone pad place 2 tsp of the mixture on the sheet spaced evenly apart, just like when baking cookies.
In a 250 degree oven bake for 20 minutes. Don't open the oven door!
Allow to cool and  hopefully enjoy!

I will report back after the taste test. Not that I would eat the whole sheet tray in a sitting, but with the added cocoa powder they are about 56 calories for all of the cookies! Seriously!

UPDATE:
I didn't care for the first batch.  So I tried again.  This time I experimented with flavored sugar free syrup.  I had a Kahlua flavored one.  So I mixed in a tsp and whipped up the next batch. 
I also used a sandwich bag and cut off the corner and piped the cookies on the cookie sheet. I sprinkled the tops with a little splenda before baking but didn't use any in the meringue mixture itself.

These turned out much better.  The texture and flavor were fuller but the meringues are still so light!

No comments:

Post a Comment