Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fools Toffee=Bite

Since it is fall and time for all things sticky and sweet (or so it seems). I thought I would try my hand at making some toffee. Not just any toffee would do. It had to be covered in chocolate as well. Off I went to search for a decent recipe that didn't take too much effort, but tastes like it does.
I got my recipe from http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/262/Fools_Toffee6923.shtml

Recipe:
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
36 saltines
11 1/2 oz chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds

-Lay out 36 saltine crackers on a foil lined baking sheet with an edge (10x15 is what recipe calls for I used a 9x12 with no problems).
-Melt the butter and sugar in a sauce pan. Cook for 4 minutes on high stirring it (when working with sugar always use a wooden spoon!)
-Once cooked for 4 minutes, pour over the crackers and place in a 375 degree oven for 5 minutes.
-When you remove it from the oven immediately top with chocolate.
-Once the chocolate has melted spread with the back of a spoon or off-set icing spatula.
-Sprinkle on nuts.
-Place in fridge to harden for at least 2 hours, overnite is probably best.
*For quicker set, use freezer!

Since I didn't have saltines in the house the night I decided to try this out, I used club crackers. Though it turned out good, it was too buttery (yes, really Paula Deen you can have too much butter). Needless to say hubby ate it all the same. I topped it with semi-sweet chocolate and almonds for that batch.
A few nights later I revisited the recipe with reduced sodium saltines. This turned out much better. I also used dark chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. I much preferred my second batch.

I gave this recipe a BITE for a few reasons.
1. I used a 9x12 baking sheet
2. I first used Club crackers and then reduced sodium saltines
3. I melted my chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 second intervals and stirred in between. Once all were melted and the toffee was out of the oven, I poured the melted chocolate over the toffee and spread it out evenly.


This is such a treat. I prepared the second batch mainly for a study session I had for a certification test last week. The girls loved it too! Hubby liked it so much he asked I make it again this week (I haven't yet though). It is really inexpensive to make and would be a great treat for the upcoming holiday gatherings.

Hope you try it and like it! The not too salty, not too sweet combination is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment