Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What's for Breakfast!?!=Bite

For work this week, I thought I would approach breakfast and lunch a little different. Because I have an office mate who is nutrition minded like me (still trying to shed pounds, now that the baby weight is gone...), I decided to make enough for us both.

She found a recipe from her daily Prevention magazine email that I adapted.
http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/whole-wheat-cranberry-orange-muffins.aspx

Whole Wheat Cranberry-Orange Muffins
-1 tablespoon trans-free margarine or butter, melted
-
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-2 cups whole wheat flour or whole grain pastry flour
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-3 tablespoons grated orange zest
-1 cup orange juice
-1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
-2 lightly beaten eggs
-1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
-1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)


I gave this a BITE for a few reasons. I didn't have fresh cranberries, so I used dried. I also added 3/4 cup of rolled oats to the batter. I used fresh squeezed orange juice instead of bottled. I added more cinnamon than the recipe called for (1 teaspoon). I haven't tried them yet, but my hubby has and said they were good. I love the fact that these are made with whole wheat flour :)

No comments:

Post a Comment